Skip to main content

Audio Review: The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding

Series: A Fiendish Arrangement book 1 
Author: Alexandra Bracken 
Length: 10 hrs. 
Narrated by: Kirby Heyborne
Overall goodreads rating: 4.1
Published: Recorded Books

My Rating: 5/5 

This book was so much fun to listen to. It gave me the same feels that a fun Halloween Disney movie would. Anyone else remember Halloween Town? This quickly became a favorite for me, and it's a fantastic addition to the middle grade urban fantasy genre. 

I went into this book pretty blind, and I think that is the best way to go into this epic adventure. This review will give a short description of the plot, but I won't go into too much detail. 

Our main character Prosper comes from a family full of history, power money, and lies. Oh I almost forgot, and a demon. Prosper quickly learns his family is cursed, and of course with his luck, he is caught in the middle. Prosper has a demon living inside of him, and only has a short amount of time to get the demon out of him, and end the curse. The plot to me was complex in a way that most middle grade books aren't, and it was awesome!  Bracken did a great job giving young readers a story that was written in a way that was easy to follow, but had a story line that could rival some YA novels. I loved how she didn't play down her story. Middle grade reads can have the feeling of the author talking down to the reader or making the plot too simply, and this can cause the reader to lose interests
Bracken went into great detail with this book, and I loved it. I am a reader who craves detail. I know that sometimes too much detail can feel like information overload, but I didn't feel like that in this book. I think she gave the right amount of detail to set the atmosphere she was striving to reach. It set up a Halloween atmosphere that I craved, and made the book come to life.  


Our main character Prosper was a fun character similar to Percy Jackson in the ways that we all love. He is loyal, courageous, and funny. Prosper's loyalty to the ones he loves makes him lovable and inspiring. I loved how we get to see Prosper develop as much as we do in this book. He goes from having poor me syndrome to seeing how privilege he has been. He starts understand the difficulties others go through, and how he can sometimes help them, and other times he can't. Prosper learns what true love, friendship, selflessness, and disappointment is. It's an epic roller coaster he must go on to find out these truths. 

As weird as it may sound I really enjoyed the demon in this book. HEAR ME OUT BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME. I mean I know we aren't suppose to like demons. Alastor is hilarious and sassy, and if you need to know that's the way to my heart dear friends. He is high and mighty on his demon horse, and stares down on humans with his judging eyes. He doesn't understand why humans act human.



He is constantly questioning everything Prosper does, and is annoyed with how imperfect Prosper is. Their banter is hysterical and had me laughing out loud multiple times. We learn more about Alastor's background. We learn about his family, his place in that dynamic, and how he ended up in the middle of the curse as well.


There are other characters in the book that I loved, but again I feel like if I talk about them, I am giving away hidden gems that you need to find on your own. I know you're thinking what kind of review is this? Well my friend this is an honest and vague review. Put simply if you want a fun, Halloween read that has an intriguing plot, comedic and lovable characters this book is for you. That's all you need to know. (I say this in my sweetest overly excited voice, and if we were face to face I would be jumping up and down shoving this book into your hands).

The narrator did a great job, and brought the characters to life for me. Personally I enjoyed the audio version, and had no difficulties following it. I have a younger brother in the 7th grade, and while I think the audio version would be a fun mix up I will be getting him the hard copy instead. He does best with a physical copy.

This book got me excited to read again. After having a personal tragedy in April I haven't been truly excited about anything reading wise. This book reminding me of how fun reading can be. You know that feeling when a book just makes you feel light and all your troubles melt away? Do you know when a book gives you joy and happiness like a little kid? This book gave me that again, and I will forever be grateful. 

Let me know if you get the book, and what you think! I truly believe this book will be on my favorites list for 2017. Leave a comment, and let me know your thoughts. Have a great Monday!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Review: Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Title: Becoming Alpha  Author: Aileen Erin  Genre: Paranormal Fantasy  Pages: 267 Goodreads Overall Rating: 4.11 Published:  December 17th, 2013 by Ink Monster, LLC   My Rating:  I can’t do that. I can’t turn my emotions off and on like that. I’m either all in or all out. And if you can’t do that—if I don’t come first, then for God’s sake, leave me alone. Becoming Alpha is the true definition of YA paranormal fantasy and I devoured it. Erin took troupes that are known in YA and ran with them in fun, plausible, and exciting ways while taking her own spin on them. I sped through this book and right after I downloaded the next book in the series because I couldn't wait for the two-day shipping of the physical book.  At the beginning of the book, we meet our main character Tessa and her family. Tessa has an unusual gift and it has marked her as the odd girl out at and causing her to feel isolated. With her family wanting to give her a sense o