Skip to main content

Review: Poison Princess


Title: Poison Princess
Series: The Arcana Chronicles #1
Author: Kresley Cole
Genre: Ya Apocalyptic, Fantasy/Paranormal
Goodreads Overall Rating: 4.17
Pages: 369
Published: October 2nd 2012 by Simon & Schuster
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
 
 

In A Nut Shell
This book is full of creative and original fantasy/paranormal aspects that I LOVED. I found this book to be different than most books I have read before, but sadly it had one downfall that I just could not get past and made my rating flip flop between 3.5 and 4 stars. I normally enjoy romances, but this book had such potential to be beyond original and I felt like the love interest over shadowed the main story line. I felt like the romance was more of just sexual tension between a confused girl and a obsessive boy that was unstable even before the apocalypse. He also wants in Evie's pants so bad he cant stand it. We get a fantastic play on tarot cards being more than just a stack of cards and powers that are wildly interesting. I will be reading the second book in hopes there will be more writing about the world and not so much the insane attraction between the two main characters.
 

"She could save the world—or destroy it.

Sixteen-year-old Evangeline "Evie" Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they're still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can't do either alone.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can't totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?

As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it's not always clear who is on which side."

I did really enjoy this book and found many original concepts such as the tarot cards playing a specific and interesting role in this book. The powers that are introduced in this book are fascinating and kept me wanting to read as fast as I could to see what these powers could really do when put to the test. When we first start reading we are introduced to a psychotic man who traps people in his cabin and abuses them in the name of science, and he has just received a new victim, and that is how our story begins. I loved this because it left my mind wondering like crazy and that is how I felt about many situations in this book. I enjoyed our main character Evie who seemed to have the perfect life; cheerleader, nice house, expensive clothes, popular, hot football player boyfriend who drives a nice car, and she is the nicest girl ever. What isn't to love right? What made me really like her were her imperfections...oh and her kick butt powers. like I have said I loved this world and I feel like this book had the complete opposite problem that most fantasy books have. I LOVED the world building and found it to be what kept me going. What left me confused was the love interest weird I know. I feel like the love connection in this book was kinda off. Jackson is unstable and has emotional problems that need to be worked on. Evie has the wait of the world on her shoulders. These two are thrown together and shocker there is a love connection. But for me this connection was odd and I wasn't pulling for it at all. I felt like instead of it being a subtle part of the story it was distracting and jumpy. Evie would have something huge happen and she would stop and waste time arguing or lusting over Jackson. I didn't like that at all and found it unrealistic for the circumstances. It happened often and left me frustrated and annoyed. This is why I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. Did anyone else have this problem? I loved the ending and found it empowering, creepy, and wanting the second book. I just really hope that the next book has less romance that gets on my nerves. I hope that the second book makes me change my mind and become a Jack fan.

What were you thoughts on this book? I know many people liked the romance in this book, what did you think about it? Did you find the fantasy/paranormal aspect as interesting as I did? Leave your thoughts down below =) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run